I’d struggled with different ways to describe the illiberal “liberal” monsters I hate, for instance:
- Identitarian neoliberals
- Social liberalism-only liberals
- Libertarians with slightly less subhuman faces (sorry, Mr Dubcek, Ms Sontag)
- Creative class moderates
- Comfy class gay-friendly tax evaders
- Judith Butlerian jihadists (sorry, Mr. Herbert)
- Pronoun-obsessed empire enthusiasts
- Trust funded tumblr twats
- Politically correct social Darwinists
- Intersectional neoconartists
- Artisanally woke centrists
- Social justice 1%ers
- School-privatizing aesthetic Stalinists
- Austeritarians for over-invested identity politics
- Inclusive deregulators
- Speech-policing free traders for greater economic inequality
but they’re all too long. On a blog it doesn’t matter, but on twitter with the 140 character limit it’s difficult to make a point and describe the radically social liberal, warmongering, economically conservative corporate whores who have gained complete media and cultural hegemony and destroyed any chance of social democracy.
You know the kind; like the ChapoTrapHouse boys said, they’re the so insufferably woke people who, as long as they name the latest bunker buster bomb after Sojourner Truth, can sleep well at night. The sort that, like my twitter pal Phillips Pasha says, praises putting Harriet Tubman on the 20$ bill but wants a Grand Bargain on social security. In other words, Hillary Clinton’s cadre.
Now God knows the alt-right has a lot to answer for but to give credit where due they have enriched the political vocabulary; their name for the type of “liberal” described above is SHITLIB. It’s concise, snarly, evocative, righteous — perfect.
So thank you, fascist Shitlords; I appreciate it.
 Cf., the conclusion of Eric Alterman’s What Liberal Media?: it is full of people who are socially liberal (often extremely so) but conservative on economics and foreign policy. Yes, duh.